Thursday, February 28, 2019

Small Subversion of classic conventions:

Since my audience is very different from the typical audience of a food magazine,which tends to be middle age to older women, I'm probably going to have to make a lot of changes in the style. Due to its typical audience, food and recipe magazines tend to be very stylized and elegant, appealing to those that want their food to look delicate and beautiful while tasting delicious and homemade. The fonts are usually nice cursive fonts and there are usually some articles related to hosting events like dinners for holidays or family events. One good example of typical formatting would be thsi magazine from Food Network:
 
It contains hosting ideas like appetizers and is very stylized with its cursive font. Looking at the table of contents here, it definitely also has a lot of recipes for a more experienced reader to follow, like brioche bread. I'm hoping to make mine easy to follow for younger people that may be starting out, with far simpler recipes.

 I definitely don't want to have my magazine have the same look as typical food magazines so I decided to look at some magazines that are more for the people in my target audience. Upon my first search I saw a bunch of copies of Seventeen magazine: 

While this magazine is a lot more fashion suited in audience I do think it gives some good pointers towards formatting ideas, mainly making it more vibrant, making the titles and the articles pop, using bright colors and attractive text. These are ideas and forms of inspiration I'll certainly take into account when creating my magazine in hopes of making it appealing and fun to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Here's my CCR Reflection! https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UDDhkvDgUGgk6A9gmYLy1a31GoLiBGEZ/view?usp=drivesdk